A specification to a patent for an invention (utility model) is an exhaustive source of information about the invention (utility model). A patent specification reveals the essence of an invention (utility model) and confirms the scope of legal protection defined by the claims.
With the entry into force of the Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to Certain Laws on the Establishment of the National Intellectual Property Office" of June 16, 2020 № 703-IX and in accordance with Part 1 of the Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of October 13, 2020 № 1276-r "On the National Intellectual Property Office", according to which the State Enterprise "Ukrainian Intellectual Property Institute" (Ukrpatent) performs the functions of the National Intellectual Property Office (hereinafter – NIPO), one of Ukrpatent's authorities is to publish official information on intellectual property rights.
According to Article 23 of the Law of Ukraine “On Protection of Rights to Inventions and Utility Models”:
- simultaneously with the state registration of an invention (utility model), the NIPO publishes in the Bulletin (the official electronic bulletin of the NIPO) information on the state registration of the invention (utility model), determined in accordance with the established procedure;
- no later than three months from the date of publication of information on the state registration of the invention (utility model) the NIPO publishes a patent specification containing the claims and description of the invention (utility model), as well as a drawing referred to in the specification to the invention (utility model).
In order to fulfill these powers, Ukrpatent issued the Order "On the Publication of Information on Intellectual Property Rights" dated November 2, 2020 № 152-N/2020, which approves and puts into effect the Composition of information on claimed and registered intellectual property rights, other official information and notices for their publication (hereinafter - the Composition of Information), taking into account the latest changes made to special laws in the field of intellectual property.
According to the Composition of Information, a specification to a patent of Ukraine for an invention (utility model) is an independent official online electronic publication which is published with the frequency of the Bulletin "Industrial Property" (Promyslova Vlasnist).
Specifications to patents for inventions and utility models were published on paper from 1993 to 2011 inclusive; since 2005 they have been presented on optical media as the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine".
Users have the opportunity:
1. to get acquainted with patent specifications:
- in the Ukrpatent Special Information System and in the Specialized Database "Inventions (Utility Models) in Ukraine", which contain complete information on state registration of inventions (utility models) in a structured form and patent documents in PDF format, access to which is provided free of charge on the Ukrpatent website;
- in the Public Patent Documents Collection (PPDC), which is part of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Promotion of Innovation of Ukrpatent (26 L. Ukrainka Boulevard, Kyiv, 01133, tel.: (38 044) 494-06-90);
2. to purchase the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine".
Sample specification to a patent for an invention
Sample specification to a patent for a utility model
Modified in December, 2020